Farewell and Good Luck from BME! :)

Congratulations!

We’ve made it.

Well, I’ve made it to the end of the second year and you’ve made it to the end of the first year!

Both are indeed great accomplishments.

Now we wait for the results. You’ve heard this before, but your results don’t define you. Your grades are not contingent on your self-worth. We’ve done our best to get where we are today, so just work on improving if you have to.

Make sure your choice of specialisations is guided by which courses you enjoyed doing, not the ones you scored highly in. For instance, just because you may have done well in chemmat is not a sign for you to take chemmat (while to some extent, yes it might), but whether you enjoyed the course is the greater question at hand. Take this as a time to do things you couldn’t do during uni. Binge on a Netflix show, go for more walks, do some more baking or do anything you love.

Choosing your specialisation is a tough choice. Especially when you have no seniors to talk to. I know reading these blogs from the different specialisations has helped you gain a better grasp of the specialisation, and I also acknowledge that it may make you feel more conflicted to actually pick one. I remember this being the case for me. Go with the specialisation you love! Sometimes I know our passion can be clouded  by factors such as employability, income and what not, but hopefully by now we can appreciate how the skills we learn in every specialsiation – particularly in BME – are broad and diversified, so it comes down to how well we can advertise ourselves to companies.

Personally, choosing Biomedical Engineering was a tough decision for me since I only wanted to be involved with medical devices, so I thought perhaps Mechatronics and/or Electrical engineering would be better suited for me. I was drifting away from BME since I thought it might be more research based. While this might be true, it is important to realise that a lot of the research is absolutely essential for the development of the medical devices.

BME is hard. I presume all specialisations are hard in their own way as well. Don’t choose your spec based on what is easier, what may have the least amount of CAD or coding, but do it on the basis of something you love. This is what will make it stand out from the rest.

My final advice that isn’t popular or not seen on other blog posts is when it comes to specialisation choices, look at companies that are specific to the specialisation you are interested in. If you think what they do is interesting and something you want to be apart of, then that may be a sign its the spec for you. If you are thinking what companies to search up, please have a look at my posts regarding internships. The same applies to every other spec as well.

Please feel free to reach out to me on messenger, Instagram, LinkedIn or even by commenting on this post. I’d be more than happy to assist you in any way possible!

Thank you so much for reading this far. I applaud you for your curiosity and effort.

I wish you the very best for whatever spec you choose!

That’s it from me :))

2 thoughts on “Farewell and Good Luck from BME! :)