Why Mechatronics?

Hi everyone, and welcome to the second-to-last instalment of my blogs. As I was procrastinating and also pondering on what to write about next, it occurred to me that a lot of you may not even know what Mechatronics Engineering really is.  So, here’s a more in-depth intro into the world of Mechatronics and where it can lead you.

What is Mechatronics?

Mechatronics is an interdisciplinary branch of engineering that focuses on the integration of mechanical, electronic and electrical engineering systems, and also includes a combination of robotics, electronics, computer science, control systems and product engineering. With the exponential growth in the popularity and advancement of technology, mechatronics is one of, if not the fastest growing branch of science and engineering. In this smart era, almost all mechanical systems have become smarter, smaller, and more efficient. Skilled professionals are required to design, operate, and repair such systems, and that’s where we come into the picture.

The many fields that make up Mechatronics

What fields can I go into when I graduate?

A degree in mechatronics can lead to many places, as the fields it covers are very broad (see above diagram). Workplaces can range from laboratories and processing plants to engineering design offices. Mechatronics engineers can work in the fields of cybersecurity, telecommunications, computer science, automotive engineering, robotics, artificial intelligence, and consumer products and packaging. Some of the job titles include:

• Automotive Engineer
  • Control System Engineer
  • Data Logging Engineer
  • Instrumentation Engineer
  • Project Engineer
  • Software Engineer
  • Systems Engineer
  • Service Engineer
  • Various management positions

And many more! Mechatronics is great in that the range of things you learn is very big, so it never feels boring or stagnant. From optimising mechanical systems to developing robots that can dance, the possibilities are endless, especially if you’re looking to relocate somewhere overseas. It is an exciting career pathway that will only continue to grow, particularly in this technologically-dependant age we are currently living in.

I have no experience with any of these things. Is that okay?

Yes! That is totally okay. I have always been extremely fascinated by robotics and automation, but had never really gotten the chance to learn about it properly, until I chose to study mechatronics. I’ll admit, it can feel a little daunting sometimes when you’re surrounded by people with much more knowledge and technical experience than you – but that doesn’t mean you are any less capable. Learning and experiencing all these new things has been the most exciting part of this whole journey, and definitely has not set me back in any way at all!

So, Why Mechatronics? 

In conclusion, if you are passionate about technology, want a career that’s more hands-on, and enjoy a challenge, then Mechatronics is the specialisation for you. Mechatronics is a field that is always growing and changing and will only continue to do so. If you are still unsure, read my previous blog posts about the courses I took this semester and see if any of them interest you! You can also check out the other compulsory and elective courses in part III and IV here.

My last piece of advice is to choose the specialisation that you think you will enjoy most and aligns with your interests. There’s nothing worse than studying for something that you don’t enjoy and aren’t passionate about, as realistically this is what you will spend most of your time doing. As always, if you have any questions, feel free to reach out! I’m here to help.

See you next time,

Sabina 🙂