Mechatronics??

Hey! I’m James, and I’m your blogger for mechatronics this year. Over the next few months, I’ll give you a general understanding of second-year mechatronics. Whether you’re leaning towards mechatronics or hoping to gain some insights in the second semester, these blogs can help all of you!

Now a little bit about me, my entry into mechatronics took a non-standard path. Instead of the usual first-year engineering, I did one year of Biomed(cue the screams) and transferred into mechatronics after completing summer school earlier this year. ENGGEN121 was delivered at lightning-fast speed with a dynamics test that made me question my life choices, but despite it all, I still decided to stick with tron.

So, why mechatronics, you may ask?

One of the best things about studying mechatronics is the diverse range of things we learn, such as mechanical, electronic, and electrical systems and programming. It empowers you to create cutting-edge technology and shape the future. From robotics to smart systems, mechatronics graduates are in high demand across manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, and more industries. The possibilities are endless✨✨ It is YOU who decide what you want to work on.

BUT, before we get into all the interesting things that mechatronics has to offer, you have to be warned that second-year mechatronics shares 7/8 courses with mechanical engineering, meaning that most second-year courses are very mechanical-heavy. This means that if you didn’t like or were struggling in ENGGEN 121, things won’t be getting easier in that regard. You can see the general distribution of courses in second-year mechatronics in the graph below, but this does change in the third year, where we will have a more even mix of the three.

Is mechatronics for you?

• Are you someone who loves getting hands-on with projects? Mechatronics provides ample opportunities to design, build, and test systems, making your learning journey practical and exciting.
  •  Mechatronics is all about merging mechanical, electronic, and electrical systems. If you enjoy understanding how different components work together to create something amazing, this field will keep you engaged and intrigued.
  •  With mechatronics, your career options are vast. From manufacturing to aerospace, automotive, and beyond, this field opens doors to various industries, making it a versatile choice.
  •  Mechatronics projects often involve collaboration; if you thrive in a collaborative environment, you’ll find a supportive community to brainstorm ideas and work towards common goals.

If you think the above description fits your ideal of a perfect specialisation, mechatronics might be the one for you!

Before finishing, I want to share one of my favourite quotes on engineering.

Scientists study the world as it is, engineers create the world that never has been.”

Theodore von Kármán

While scientists seek to comprehend the world as it is, engineers have the unique opportunity to imagine and bring into existence a world that is yet to be realised and with mechatronics like other specialisations, there is the unlimited capacity to create those devices or work on those projects that can have a positive impact on other peoples lives.

That’s all from me for now; stay tuned for the next post, where I will review the courses we’ve done in semester 1 :))