Past, present, and future

This year was incredibly amazing. Sorry I had to rewrite that sentence about 10 times and I settled on something lame like that. It was filled with lots of ups and downs, mostly relating to the stress of assignments, tests, internships, etc etc. However, it’s definitely the best year of my life so far, and I’ve learned a lot about software engineering and growing as a person (which is what university is for if you think about it!).

Exams are hard, no question about that. What with the high entry requirement and how bloody competitive everyone is. It gets very easy to start comparing yourself to your peers, and that’s exactly what you shouldn’t worry about. The only thing that matters is how you’ve improved, and how you’re going to improve personally.

I also got my first B ever, can you even imagine?! I know, “stop flexing”, but, everything’s relative right? If your grades suddenly dropped by 2 points you’d be questioning stuff too. But it’s a given that everything should get harder from this point on. I should take my own advice and stop beating myself up over it 🙂

My plans for this summer – I got a software internship in India! I did an overseas internship last year as well, but in my home country (Malaysia). I’m a little bit nervous about it but it’s going to be really interesting and new and rewarding. If you do get the opportunity to branch out from your comfort zone… I say go for it.

I’m looking forward to next year as well. This year focused on laying the foundations of what we will be doing as software engineers – coding principles, theory, and algorithms. A lot of which is super relevant and important for our future careers as software engineers. Hopefully next year will be a lot of application of what we learned and hell we might even learn some new things!

So that concludes my final blog of the year. I hope to see you all next year!

– Sam