Mairi’s introduction

My name is Mairi and I’m studying Biomedical Engineering this year. Hopefully I’ll be able to shed a little insight into the life of a BME which might help you out a little bit in November when you have to choose which specialisation you want to spend the next three years in (Hint: BME is pretty great).

First up, a little bit about me:

• I’m originally from Palmerston North, but also spent a couple of years living in Melbourne before I moved back to New Zealand to come to the University of Auckland
  • Throughout school, I never thought I would do engineering and it was all relatively last minute – I couldn’t be happier with my decision though!
  • When people ask what I do with my free time, I usually stare kind of blankly – I have a mega issue with saying ‘no’ to things, and get a bit of thrill out of trying to pack something in to every minute of my day. When I do have down time though, I try and get out of the city to somewhere with a bit more greenery.

So, what exactly is BME?

Honestly, I’m not really sure I’m qualified to give an elaborate answer to that, so feel free to keep reading as I figure it out.